Saturday, April 30, 2005

Geisha Gals Formica Chips


"Geisha Gals" April 2005
These formica chips were sent for a swap in the collage cats group. It was the first time I had tried to collage on this medium. The formica is a slick surface, and I thought it would be difficut to work with. But a thin, quick coating of rubber cement on them held everything really well!
The asian paper was really interesting to work with and I loved how the backgrounds turned out. When I first started to create these I thought that I wanted to do a blue and white theme using delft object pictures and Vermeer women. When I sat down to do them I came across my origami paper and thought "Hmm, I wonder what these would look like covered in this paper?" So next thing I knew, I was tearing up origami paper, rice paper, Japanese print, and mulberry paper and made them all Asian! I almost didn't add the geishas because I liked how the paper looked. But it didn't feel completely finished, so I added them and the fibers to complete them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home